Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1976 Honda XL250

Good things come to those who wait? 
I think I just got lucky. . . .
 I have been emailing and calling Charles over near Illinois for at least two maybe closer to three weeks and I could never get a clear reply or set up a time to see the bike.  
Today he called me up unexpectedly and I took off down 74.....
He lives in the middle of nowhere about 15 minutes north of 74.  Took this in on trade for a porsche or something like that a few years back and kind of tried to sell it on and off.  Started right up on choke and I rode down his gravel road a mile or so and back.  It sputters around 3000RPM's.....I am guessing its carb related...side covers are gone but I am going to swap engines anyway.

3,XXX miles....Speedo and tach are clean.  
It shows on the speedo not to push it above 60 unless you have road tires.(!)

Tank is perfect inside, headlight and tail/brake light work but not the signals.  This bike has a battery-less 6v system....one of the reasons I wanted it for the ariel build.

I love the chrome triangle panel just before the muffler.  .  I wish it still had the chrome piece on the header.

Overall a pretty good looking bike.

It still had a price tag from when it was in his shop a fews years back. 
I didn't pay that much......
         I feel kind of back tearing out this bikes heart.....if I can find another XL250 engine to swap back in, I might partially restore and sell it later........

No comments:

Post a Comment